Labels

If you have found this blog, it probably means you were searching for something that isn’t in the public eye. My intention is to promote awareness of artists that you would otherwise likely never know existed. If you like what you hear, support the artist by purchasing their music so that they can continue to create, and enjoy the release in the quality they intended.

Over the years this has grown into my own personal project, reviewing the artists that I discover and interest me. If you wish to see more of my work, particularly my more metal-orientated material, you can find me as a regular contributor for the online magazine
Axis of Metal.

Wynton Marsalis - Angel Eyes

Posted by T. Bawden Friday, 17 July 2009














Wynton Marsalis - Angel Eyes - 4/5
Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?jwk3vjg4rmz
Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?4ynrvjzzm5i

This was the first Jazz album that I ever bought. When reviewing a Jazz album one is faced with many difficulties: how to describe the sounds without sounding cliché; giving it a fair rating; finding the element that distinguishes it from other Jazz etc. I must admit I am at a loss as to how to do this, so, with my eyes shut tightly, I will jump right into it.

In 'Angel Eyes' the famous trumpeter has, once again, managed to capture the essence of good Jazz - that contradictory quality that is so elusive in most artists' work: a relaxed energy. From the start one is made almost painfully aware of the instrumental prowess of all the members: the pianist, the drummer, the bassist and trumpeter himself. All instruments get a fair chance to show what they`re made of, none being supressed, none being favoured. A good example to illustrate this is 'Time Will Tell', where all instruments, even the bassist, are given centre-stage for a good part of the song.

On the album one will only find one form of music: fast-paced, acoustic jazz. Basic Jazz drums. Basic bass. Basic piano. Basic trumpet. It`s all composed of basic bits. But just because the Eiffel Tower is made of steel doesn`t mean it`s the same as a jungle gym... It really pulls together to create a comprehensive, powerful album that I can listen to over and over again.

There is also the ever-present atmosphere which the music creates - relaxed and calm, yet imposing and clear. This is the sort of music I imagine myself buying stainless-steel kitchenware and silver refrigerators to for my state-of-the-art kitchen in my New York penthouse. I can`t really explain it any further, unless you want me to specify the design. It`s not the type of music that you get emotionally attached to. It`s cold and dead - almost 'metallic' in it`s precision and 'silver' in it`s clarity.

But, all that being said, Jazz was never meant to be 'weighed down' by something as ephemeral and mundane as emotions. Where Robert Johnson is the therapist of the music world - speaking to the heart - Wynton Marsalis is, in my mind at least, the assassin of the music world - ruthless, goal-oriented and VERY cool.

The first Jazz album that I ever bought: I had seen this man playing on David Letterman (yes, it seems mainstream media DOES do some things right from time to time) and instantly fell in love with him (in a completely homosexual manner, of course :P). This album did not dissappoint.


Editors Note: Apparently there are two versions of this, one claiming Wynton Marsalis as the musician responsible, and others Art Blakey. As I found no evidence of a front cover attributing it to Blakely, I have used Marsalis as the proprieter, though Blakely was most likely the drummer in this piece

1 Responses to Wynton Marsalis - Angel Eyes

  1. The Jackyl Says:
  2. I reject that comment about Jazz being emotionless. Strongly.

     

Search

Blog Archive

Guide

Guide to the Ratings
0/5 - This caused me physical pain
1/5 - This is really bloody awful
2/5 - This was below average
3/5 - This was above average
4/5 - This was pretty darn good.
5/5 - I cannot fault this epitome of perfection.

I cant guarantee all reviewers adhere to these guidelines, but work as a general guide.

Author's credit is given on all posts.